Can /etc/hosts values be used while still (rapidly) falling back to their DNS values?Snow Leopard doesn't...

Can I string the DnD Starter Set campaign into another modules, keeping the same characters?

How did Ancient Greek 'πυρ' become English 'fire?'

Why did the villain in the first Men in Black movie care about Earth's Cockroaches?

Does a phylactery of a lich have to be a box?

speculum - A simple, straightforward Arch Linux mirror list optimizer

How can i do a custom maintenance message on magento 2.2.4

Using only 1s, make 29 with the minimum number of digits

Publishing research using outdated methods

Looking for access to original paper for Category O

Making him into a bully (how to show mild violence)

How to deal with an incendiary email that was recalled

How old is the day of 24 equal hours?

Writing a character who is going through a civilizing process without overdoing it?

Traveling through the asteriod belt?

Why are the books in the Game of Thrones citadel library shelved spine inwards?

How to prevent cleaner from hanging my lock screen in Ubuntu 16.04

What is the difference between rolling more dice versus fewer dice?

Am I a Rude Number?

SET NOCOUNT Error in handling SQL call after upgrade

I will be going to Sweden on business purpose .Can I visit London from Sweden and how much UK visa will cost?

Can we harness gravitational potential energy?

Why did Democrats in the Senate oppose the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act (2019 S.130)?

Concatenation of fieldvalue and fieldname (handling of NULL)

A title for a history book



Can /etc/hosts values be used while still (rapidly) falling back to their DNS values?


Snow Leopard doesn't like dnsmasq?How can I rapidly switch hosts?Waiting for google.comLocal Server with dynamic IP, DDNS and public Domain - Internal vs external traffic / routingusing dnsmasq to resolve all dns queries in my local LANIptables rules for NATing to DNS server in VPNDNS server for home network without using resolv.conf, google dns, nor transfersGet DNSmasq to redirect local network requests to server on networkWindows 10 WebDav DNS errorsPort forwarding and external/internal machines













0















I have a server hosted on my home network. Normally, I would access this from its DNS value (e.g. example.com.) However, my ISP has an awkward setup wherein I cannot access my home network's external IP from within the network, so when I am at home I am forced to change which value I use. This is difficult for some things.



Can I set an /etc/hosts value pointing example.com to my local IP, but make it fall back immediately if it has even the slightest bit of trouble reaching the device, so that my work from elsewhere isn't slowed down?









share



























    0















    I have a server hosted on my home network. Normally, I would access this from its DNS value (e.g. example.com.) However, my ISP has an awkward setup wherein I cannot access my home network's external IP from within the network, so when I am at home I am forced to change which value I use. This is difficult for some things.



    Can I set an /etc/hosts value pointing example.com to my local IP, but make it fall back immediately if it has even the slightest bit of trouble reaching the device, so that my work from elsewhere isn't slowed down?









    share

























      0












      0








      0








      I have a server hosted on my home network. Normally, I would access this from its DNS value (e.g. example.com.) However, my ISP has an awkward setup wherein I cannot access my home network's external IP from within the network, so when I am at home I am forced to change which value I use. This is difficult for some things.



      Can I set an /etc/hosts value pointing example.com to my local IP, but make it fall back immediately if it has even the slightest bit of trouble reaching the device, so that my work from elsewhere isn't slowed down?









      share














      I have a server hosted on my home network. Normally, I would access this from its DNS value (e.g. example.com.) However, my ISP has an awkward setup wherein I cannot access my home network's external IP from within the network, so when I am at home I am forced to change which value I use. This is difficult for some things.



      Can I set an /etc/hosts value pointing example.com to my local IP, but make it fall back immediately if it has even the slightest bit of trouble reaching the device, so that my work from elsewhere isn't slowed down?







      linux networking dns hosts hosts-file





      share












      share










      share



      share










      asked 6 mins ago









      Ethan McTagueEthan McTague

      1195




      1195






















          0






          active

          oldest

          votes











          Your Answer








          StackExchange.ready(function() {
          var channelOptions = {
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "3"
          };
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
          createEditor();
          });
          }
          else {
          createEditor();
          }
          });

          function createEditor() {
          StackExchange.prepareEditor({
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader: {
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          },
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          });


          }
          });














          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function () {
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsuperuser.com%2fquestions%2f1410201%2fcan-etc-hosts-values-be-used-while-still-rapidly-falling-back-to-their-dns-va%23new-answer', 'question_page');
          }
          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          0






          active

          oldest

          votes








          0






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes
















          draft saved

          draft discarded




















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Super User!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid



          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.


          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function () {
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsuperuser.com%2fquestions%2f1410201%2fcan-etc-hosts-values-be-used-while-still-rapidly-falling-back-to-their-dns-va%23new-answer', 'question_page');
          }
          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          VNC viewer RFB protocol error: bad desktop size 0x0I Cannot Type the Key 'd' (lowercase) in VNC Viewer...

          Tribunal Administrativo e Fiscal de Mirandela Referências Menu de...

          looking for continuous Screen Capture for retroactivly reproducing errors, timeback machineRolling desktop...